Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bully Gets An R-Rating!!!

Last week, I posted a trailer for a very important documentary being released which at the time was named "The Bully Project". The name is now just "Bully" I feel that the trailer deserves to be reposted.



When I posted the trailer, I explained how important I felt that this film was, since I was a survivor of bullying during my school years. I feel that every young teenager should see this movie and hopefully learn what damage is caused from words. I was so encouraged to read that schools across America were already planning on busing tens of thousands of students to see this film. The I was suddenly heartbroken to hear that the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) had given the documentary an R Rating making young teenagers unable to see the movie without a parent or guardian. The MPAA stated that the rating was implemented due to harsh language.

I believe that Linda Holmes, a writer for the NPR, said it best;
"There's a grotesque irony in declaring that what is portrayed in Bully should be softened, or bleeped -- should be hidden, really, because it's too much for kids to see. Of course it's too much for kids to see. It's also to much for kids to live through, walk through, ride the bus with, and go to school with. That's why they made the movie. The entire point of this film is that kids do not live with the protection we often believe they do -- many of them live in a terrifying, isolating war zone, and if you hide what it's like, if you lie about what they're experiencing, you destroy what is there to be learned."
The Weinstein Company, the production company for the documentary appealed the rating and has so far had no success in getting the rating changed to a softer PG-13. The MPAA had a polite statement in regard to their decision;
"Bullying is a serious issue and is a subject that parents should discuss with their children. The MPAA agrees with the Weinstein Company that Bully can serve as a vehicle for such important discussions.
The MPAA also has the responsibility, however, to acknowledge and represent the strong feedback from parents throughout the country who wants to be informed about content in movies, including language.
The rating and rating descriptor of 'some language,' indicate to parents that this movie contains certain language. With that, some parents may choose to take their kids to this movie and others may not, but it is their choice and not ours to make for them. The R rating is not a judgment on the value of any movie. The rating simply conveys to parents that a film has elements strong enough to require careful consideration before allowing their children to view it. Once advised, many parents may take their kids to see an R-rated film. School districts similarly, handle the determination of showing movies on a case-by-case basis and have their own guidelines for parental approval."
Harvey Winstein, CEP of The Weinstein Company said;
"I cried at the end of the film, and I said this is a mission for me, and especially for somebody who's known 10 years ago to have a bad temper. It's almost an act of redemption to do this movie on a personal basis. But more importantly, as a father of four girls, you know, as a father, period, I wanted to do this film. The moronic decision ... to not allow young people to watch this movie -- they want parents to take their kids. When I was 13 years old, the idea of me going with my mother and father to see any movie sounded like medicine ... I want every 13 & 14 year old to be able to go to this movie by themselves, watch the effects of thtese kids who bully other kids and make their own minds up that that's just uncool ... This is important to me because I've heard too many stories about cyber-bullies from my daughters."
I agree with the filmmaker, Lee Hirsh in that we have an obligation to America's youth to see this film. He has started a Bully's Facebook Page as well as an online petition asking the MPAA to reverse their rating decision.  I beg each and every one of you to please "Like" and sign the petition!!   Tell your friends, post it on your Facebook, we must get the word out regarding this issue.

This is not a film that can just be ignored because the "F" word is used. We as a society have to look at this movie and decide what is worse for our children; them hearing a couple of curse words or turning a blind eye as the bullying of our youth continues and their decision to no longer deal with the issue continues as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...