Friday, March 1, 2013

A Little About Me!

One of the recent comments in regard to the blog and my posts wished for  little more 'personal' views from myself.  Not sure if that comment meant my views on current events, my views on the world today and lgbt issues or just more personal commentary on myself other than the quick 'blurbs' that I give in the morning as to what is going on.

I just watched a video posted on the wonderful blog, Towleroad of Minnesota pediatrician, Dr. Paul Melchert, with his partner and wonderful twin sons made a public statement regarding the equality of same-sex marriage and with the help of his scene stealing son showed that lgbt couples are just like everyone other couple who work daily to achieve that American dream of happiness in a loving relationship and raising a family.




start at the 15:00 mark!  It brought me to tears!

As you know from my morning posts, I am a florist working for a large floral shop in Oklahoma City.  I live with my wonderful partner of soon to be five years, Daniel.  He graduated from medical school last year and has almost completed his first year of residency   We met around six years ago when we shared a common cubical wall at a marketing firm.  I was at my computer and had the odd feeling that someone was watching me.  I slowly turned, looking over my shoulder to find the cutest guy watching me while resting his chin on his hands.  I coyly said hello and was instantly smitten with the cutest smile.  We started dating and I was absolutely blown away by the depth of his compassion.  Although he was not "currently" out of the closet and still struggled with his identity, I knew that through all of his doubts, fear and anxiety lived a soon to be strong, loving and free gay man.  Through our relationship, he has overcome so much internally and externally.  The fears have truly given way to freedom and I am so proud of him.

I of course classify myself as one of the gayest men on the planet. LOL  I came out to friends and family over 20 years ago.  I remember the struggles and still bear the scars but I believe that had I not been down that road, I couldn't have helped Daniel as much down his.  I remember that it was less than two years ago when I proclaimed to my mother that some day gay couples would be allowed to marry, although it probably wouldn't be in my lifetime.  And now?  WOW!  I believe it is going to happen and that soon I will be able to legally marry the man that I love with all my heart.

We have discussed adopting children and we both have started to make plans to adopt in the next couple of years.  Probably closer to the end of Daniel's residency 

I have strived to be show those around me that my relationship with Daniel is just like everyone else on our little cul de sac.  We are no different other than the fact that we are two gay men living and loving together.

I hope someday to be able to start a foundation that helps lgbt youth, who have been abandoned by their family due to their sexual orientation, to find their footing, acceptance of themselves and to succeed.

So that is just a small portion of my past, present and future.  I will try to give you more insight into myself and not be the 'anonymous' blogger that I have been in the past.

Love and Huggles,

Shane


3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing that you are on the right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sean...yes I'm the one on the right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Thank you for sharing your sweet and wonderful story with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...